Thursday, September 26, 2024

Radiotherapy Shirt 5 - Drums

 


I like to pick up chitenge material that is bright and fun! The 5th shirt is covered with drums.

Drums are very important in Zambia, as well as providing the backing rhythm for music they were traditionally been used to pass information between people – particularly in the rural areas. I remember once hearing drums as I wondered in the bush and thought that maybe my presence had been noticed. On one occasion my wife Dilys went out with a group who were sensitizing people to the issues around HIV/AIDS and encouraging people to get tested. In order to get people together they used the drums and gradually a crowd gathered from the surrounding area.

During church services I attend, drums are invariably used to encourage and support the singing and dancing. Attending Sunday Mass at Our Lady of the Wayside Catholic Church really is a celebration!

PIZZ school has drums to assist with celebrations and is used to support traditional dancing. They are considered essential pieces of equipment.


 

Please continue to support PIZZ school by following this link. Transformation Through Education


Thanks,


Chris

No comments: