Monday, August 31, 2026

Presents

In Zambia maize forms the staple diet. Food means nshima, which has something of the consistency of mashed potato and is made by boiling maize flour in water.

Most families will have access to a little bit of land where they will grow maize. Many rely on this maize for food – without it they go hungry.

Over the years I have tried to help by paying for a bag or two of maize seed for friends or small groups.

One day I was meeting with an AIDS support group that my friend Jennipher had set up. They told me that they have been offered the use of some land to grow some maize. I thought that I could help and offered to pay for a bag or two of maize seed. When they sat there with glum faces I was somewhat amazed. They then explained that unless they had more food they wouldn't have the energy to plant the seed.

This wasn't the first time that I had been told that the energy expended with work was more than the calories a person obtained from their food. It is hard to realise just how close to the edge some people in Zambia live.

Climate change means that maize crops have failed more often than not in recent years, however for a Zambian it is still important to grow some maize each year.

Often I find it difficult to know what to give people to mark Birthdays, Christmas or other occasions.

Spending time in Zambia has given me opportunities to give alternative presents.

As I mentioned most people seem to have access to a bit of land where they can grow maize.

For a few years I did some work at Monze Mission Hospital developing their computer systems. O who worked in the office wanted to grow some maize. So I took the opportunity to give him money to buy maize seed instead of buying my dad a Christmas present.

I am sure that this present was the one my dad remembered and probably appreciated more than any other.

I sent my dad this photo of O's crop later in the year.


 

My dad was fortunate to celebrate two silver wedding anniversaries. He was married to my mother for more than 30 years. When he was about to celebrate his second 25 years I was in Zambia. Friends of mine C & R ran a small project. This involved growing a variety of vegetabes, as well as some maize.

The small farm they used was about 10 km to the west of Monze, not far from Hichanga Dam which supplies water to Monze. They needed something to transport their goods into town. As they had a couple of oxen so an ox-cart would be very suitable.

R had a friend who was an artist and we decided that a small inscription on the cart would be appropriate. In the event Rs artist didn't appear – so R picked up a paitbrush and with some paint wrote the inscription himself.

My Dad and Stepmother's silver wedding anniversary present was the oxcart shown below!

 Please support PIZZ a project lifting families out of poverty. Check out this website Tr
ansformation Through Education

 


No comments: