Tuesday, June 2, 2015

HANDS

2nd June

Time moves on very quickly! My flights are booked and in two weeks time I will once more be on Zambian soil. So I have started making lists, sorting out a few things and thinking how to fit in the little jobs that need doing.

Raymond is busy trying to find me a place to live. Deana will be out in Zambia at the same time so we will try to find suitable accommodation to share. I have warned her that I tend to have a steady stream of visitors who might disturb her peace, but she would prefer not to live their on her own. So far we have no success at the hospital. We have found a house with no furniture at Homecraft. Raymond found a house near the police station, but it seems that the lady who was to move out a couple of days ago has no where to go - so Raymond is also looking for a house for her. It seems that Raymond has walked the length and breadth of Monze in his quest to find us a house - the latest possibility is a place at Site and Service – apparently it has a wall fence, three bedrooms a kitchen, sitting room and bathroom – fully furnished! I have arranged for Teddy to give a second opinion before committing.

We travelled to Yorkshire over the Bank Holiday weekend to visit Dilys' relatives – particularly her mum. Unfortunately our car didn't survive the journey back and was abandoned in Birmingham, only to be scrapped last Friday. This will add the the challenges over the next few days!

Mike's marathon has raised £2,546 so far, which will be a great boost for PIZZ School – further donations can still be made at : Virginmoneygiving.com/mikedalyrun1 I look forward to meeting with Mrs. Sianga again and seeing the new classroom block take shape. We are still looking for volunteers to work on the building and help with the holiday club – no specific qualifications required!

We are approaching Hands around the World's twenty first birthday. I have been reflecting on the work of the charity and all the HANDS that have been involved with its work over the years.

There is enormous beauty in HANDS. I know a young lady who has a severe disability which among other things prevents her from talking. However she has the most expressive hands I have ever seen. Her hands talk for her in a very powerful way. In Zambia shaking hands is a ritual sign of greeting – of course there is a special Zambian handshake, which is often done with particular emphasis and enthusiasm. I will look forward to my Small Christian Community meetings where I must shake every hand and where some of the elderly women will launch their hands to give mine a great slap.

I recall meeting Obadia last year. He stretched out his hands inviting me to use mine to lift him into my arms. HANDS can invite and also be used in response.

I want to encourage everyone to lend their HANDS to support Hands Around the World and increase its profile – you can add your support by going to HANDS Around the World sharing and liking the page and perhaps adding a picture of your hand – or other hands which mean something to you.

Throughout this year's blog I will reflect on HANDS and encourage you to find out more about Hands Around the World which is the charity that has changed my life by introducing me to Zambia – a different world.

With love and prayers


Chris

No comments: