Monday, February 27, 2023

The Sun is Shining


Yes! I am back in Monze, the place which I have adopted as my second home.


I arrived just over a week ago, but it feels like I have never been away. I have been greeted by many friends , but this year there is one huge exception. Jennipher is no longer here to welcome me. In the past I could step of the bus and she would appear with a big hug to tell me that I was back home. This year I am greeted with – “I am so sorry” - referring to Jennipher's tragic death. She is greatly missed by so many.


My surprise visit this year was prompted by the need to provide support for Mrs. Sianga who has endured a very stressful and extremely difficult year. We are trying to see how we can ensure the future of PIZZ School. The second major purpose is to try to locate and meet with Jennipher's children. I hope that they too can have a secure future.


It didn't take long for word to get around that I was back in Monze. I was contacted by Henna in Lusaka as well as many in Monze. Brian came over to the petrol station, where I was passing through, to say hallo, Obert beeped at me from his taxi as I wandered down the main road, Ireen greeted me with her customary hug, Teddy caught me after church, Angelina spotted me at the market, Diven expected me and popped along to Truckers, where I am lodging and many others have greeted me as I wander around Monze.


It is so good to feel welcomed. In Cheltenham I can often walk through town without a single person saying hallo. That never happens in Monze. Many people say “hallo Chris how are you?” often followed by “when did you come? - Long time!” A lady this morning just said “Hallo white man how are you?”


Yesterday, when I was on my way to church, a man told me off for not greeting him. I apologised and we chatted a little. My mind has been preoccupied of late, but that is no excuse. On the way back he asked me if I had prayed for him. We agreed that respect for each other was so important.


My main mission in Monze is to develop friendships with the local people, built on the basis of mutual respect. I have learnt so much over the past 20 years. The more I learn, the more I realise that I don't understand. I am with people who live a world apart from me and not just in distance. I should not expect my friends here to see the world as I see it. In the UKwe come from a world of paperwork, of documents going back hundreds of years. Zambia was no doubt introduced to the written word by their 'colonial masters' - until then their tradition was oral. I don't pretend to understand how a Zambian thinks, but I try to respect the cultural differences and accept that many practices will surprise and perhaps shock me. On the other hand I feel at home with people who are warm, friendly and great fun to be around.


It is the rainy season, however so far I have been fortunate. It rained heavily on my first night, though I slept through it, having been travelling for more than 24 hrs. We had a heavy storm lasting an hour or more and a heavy shower, but I have been safely at home. The past few days have been dry and sunny. Yesterday was hot – exceeding 30ยบC.


My faith is an important part of my life. I find comfort in the knowledge that my God is always near by and I often receive reminders in nature. In the UK I regard magpies as my angels – messengers from God to remind me of His presence. Here they don't have magpies, but they have black and white butterflies which I have christened magpie butterflies. On my first visit to PIZZ School I was welcomed by such a butterfly.

On my first visit to Our Lady of the Wayside church I was greeted by a flock of swifts. These are amazing birds. Our European swifts fly to Africa for for the winter (our winter) and return in the spring. Even more remarkable is that they might do 3 or more round trips after leaving the nest without alighting from their flight. Yesterday when I went to church I was met by a dozen or more brown dragonflies – I don't ever remember seeing them in such numbers. The dragonfly is another incredible one of God's creations. It spends 4 or 5 years crawling around in the mud at the bottom of ponds as a grey non de script creature and then one day climbs a reed and undergoes an amazing transformation into a flying beauty. The story of this transformation is sometimes used to explain to children the concepts of death and heaven. I watched this transformation many years ago over several hours and it is one of the most remarkable things that I have witnessed.

 


With love and prayers,


Chris




1 comment:

Andy said...

Thanks Dad for the update. Thinking of you, Mrs Sianga and all your friends who you are with at the moment in Monze.