Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Lord's Day

 


Today is Sunday – the Lord's day. I think that it was in 2015 that I tried to establish a link between my church in Cheltenham – St. Gregory the Great – and a church here in Monze. It was suggested initially that I linked with a poor community attached to Our Lady of the Wayside – St. Veronica's Small Christian Community. Some people needed new houses and for a small sum – I think it was about £80 they were able to construct a small mud brick house, thatched with elephant grass. Friends were happy to fund the houses and about 5 were built. This began my association with St. Veronica's and I became an official member of the Community. It was later decided that a more appropriate link was between the two churches – St. Gregory's and Our Lady of the Wayside.


So for many years, when I am in Monze, I have attended Sunday mass at Our Lady of the Wayside – the local Chitonga service. Because the Roman Catholic mass follows the same prayers worldwide, I know what is being said and can follow the readings from the New Testament from a small book I bring with me. The service usually lasts about two hours with plenty of singing. Being Lent at present the dancing is a bit subdued – it will be made up for at Easter, but I won't be here for the celebrations this year. Today's gospel for our worldwide Catholic community is the transfiguration of Christ. A time when he showed himself as God to a select group of three Apostles. I reflected at our meeting last week that we are not party to such remarkable revelations, but in other ways God makes his present known. For me He is present in nature. It is interesting that most people have a sense of there being something beyond the physical world – whether they have a religious conviction or not. I believe that anyone who sees a beautiful view, or experiences a truly life-giving event and says Wow! has been touched by that supernatural presence.


I have just enough time to get home – about a 2km walk – sit down and have a bite to eat before setting off for St. Veronica's. As usual I bump into someone. A guy says he is very sorry about Jennipher. He told me that he was involved in the process of obtaining her visa to go the UK. He asked how was our King and told me he met the Queen and Queen Mother at an old peoples home in Potter's Bar – I told him that I never had the privilege to meet either – though I have been to Potter's Bar!


So having set out at about 9 hrs for Our Lady of the Wayside, other than a brief break for lunch, I did not return home until 17 hrs!

I met Brian on the way home and I thought he was going to follow me. Ireen assured me that she would have my Chitenge shirt ready in time and would ring me. Diven asked if he could pop around and joined me for supper. We reminisced over some of the many adventures we have had over the past twenty years and he promised to write a book for me, if I tell him a month before my next visit. He said that he didn't think he would still be alive, but for me – I said that my life had a lot more excitement because of knowing him!! Brian didn't appear!


Another full day in Monze.


With love and prayers,


Chris

No comments: