Many communities in Zambia live quite a long way from a church. Most people in these communities won't have a car and therefore rely on the priest to come to them to celebrate services. The priests often travel many miles on a Sunday to serve these “outstations”.
I have come to know many priests in Monze over the past twenty years and sometimes I get the opportunity to visit an outstation.
When building in Zambia an important component is often broken stones, used to make concrete. These are often produced by women using hammers. The photo below shows this process taken place at an outstation probably for a local project.
By making friends in Zambia I have had the chance to get a glimpse of the reality of life in this extremely poor part of the world. I have also enjoyed the fun and laughter that the people embrace. I cannot walk far before being greeted and being engaged in some lively banter.
My experience of the out station chapels is that, like this one, they are very simple and somehow this makes the services even more special.
The journey to these places sometimes also brings an unexpected delight.




No comments:
Post a Comment