Monday, November 18, 2019

Meeting Old Friends

Sunday 17th November

It is already Sunday evening. This is my second visit when I have come independently. In theory this allows me to be very free and take time out. I have hardly stopped since I arrived.

In time I will say more about my friends, but if I give potted life stories as I go along I will have written a book.

Soon after I arrived on Thursday Fr. Wilson (Parish Priest of Our Lady of the Wayside) called around with a torch. He was followed quickly – in fact Jennipher arrived before he left - Jennipher is a friend I met in 2004.

On Friday I wanted to meet up with Mrs. Sianga - the founder and Director of PIZZ School and Diven. I could contact neither by phone.

I first needed to buy some essentials – particularly tea bags, cornflakes and milk!! I find it hard to function without tea – a few hours without caffeine and I can hardly function!! It is surprising, though I hardly eat cornflakes in the UK I find them very comforting here. All these items are more expensive here than in the UK.

I returned home and at 11hrs I experienced electric power for the first time since reaching Monze and had my first cup of tea since my flight from Nairobi the previous morning!

I decided to have a cooked meal while I had the chance and made enough for Jennipher who arrived at the appropriate time. She has been staying with a client who is very ill and in Monze Hospital. She was staying at Jennipher's house when I visited last year. There are essential medicines and other items which the hospital do not provide at present.

I headed to see Diven, but on my way Mr. Sianga spotted me and pulled his car off the road. I hadn't been able to contact his wife before leaving home – it was therefore quite a surprise to see me in Monze. He gave me a big hug – which is not uncommon when I meet old friends – male or female. I told him that I was on my way to see Mrs Sianga and should be there by 15hrs – it being about 13.30. At this time I was still with Jennipher who wanted me to meet her patient again. I was pleased to see the woman. While there Ireen (my tailor) appeared – and yes another big hug! Though a reasonable sized town there is a close community feel to Monze and I am always coming across friends.

Jennipher took me next to the ART department where they deal with the Antiretroviral drugs programme for HIV/AIDS. In the meeting room a girl said she knew me form PIZZ School and in the office I met Collins - another hug. I stayed at his mother's house on one visit while he was still at home. She was a nurse at Monze Mission Hospital and tried to establish a pro-life organisation in Zambia.

Oh! on the way to ART I heard a distant, but loud, call from Sebia. We first met many years ago when I was looking for a bus to Pemba where Jennipher lives. Sebia has worked for a number of years at the hospital tuckshop. Yes another big hug!!

I could hardly leave without seeing Teddy. Teddy has been a good friend since 2004 when we worked closely together with a great mutual friend – the late Bentoe who tragically was killed in a road accident in 2006. Teddy joined us at the tuckshop – another big hug!

Time was pressing! I hurried on – only stopping for a quick hug with Brian – a Rasta guy who has a very basic stall along the road from the robots. (Traffic Lights)

Diven was bathing so I quickly said hallo to his uncle and Delia his wife – and yes!!

When I arrived at PIZZ School I realised Mrs Sianga wouldn't be there and I had unnecessarily added at least 20 minutes to my journey. On the way from the school I met Killian who has been helping Mrs Sianga with the administration in recent years.

When Mr Sianga told his wife that I was in town she didn't believe him! She seemed rather pleased to see that in deed I was not just an apparition but had arrived in flesh and blood.

I blame Mrs. Sianga for making me fall in love with Monze and in particular it's people. In 2003 I came in theory to build an ICU at Monze Mission Hospital. I realised before I came that this couldn't be the real reason. Our hosts were asked to show us a bit more of the life and culture of the country. Mrs. Sianga was a full time nurse at the time and her job was to visit patients with AIDS in their homes. In 2003 ARVs (Antiretroviral Drugs) were not available so, other than given some paracetamol tablets for the pain and some comforting words, there was little that could be done. Invariably the patients died. I had the tremendous privilege of accompanying Mrs. Sianga one afternoon. I was welcomed into the very basic houses of women in the final days of their lives. It was a humbling experience and one that I have repeated many times in the following years – though thankfully ARVs are now readily available. Mrs. Sianga got to know the families and wanted to help the children who had been left behind. So PIZZ School was born and with support from Hands Around the World has flourished.


Chris

No comments: