Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The Power of Electricity

Sunday 24th November

I awoke at 1.15 am to find my bedroom light on! A little after 23 hrs I decided that I wasn't going to wait longer for power – I think it was the right decision.

I'll admit that for me the erratic power supply is difficult and lowers my spirits. I am used to my hot cup of tea to start the day – perhaps I should say I am dependant on it!! Waiting until 3 pm for by morning cup doesn't put me in the best frame of mind! Then, typically, as the sun goes down, the electricity goes again – if it has come on at all! The lamps provide some light, but it's different and fails to provide the same comforting feeling! Yesterday and enormous beetle was clinging to a door leading to my veranda. I think that later it found itself outside and decided to try to break through the window after dark. It hissed and crashed against the glass. Somehow he got in - without breaking the window! He flew across my living room attacking other small creatures ( those only an inch or two in length). Eventually he settled, but as you might imagine in the half light it is difficult to relax with this going on – the body of this beetle must be 3 inches long and about an inch across!

Fortunately my laptop has a good battery, so for most of the evening I can listen to music and write – or play games! When the battery runs out it is hard to read with the lamps, which also attract lots of flying insects! It is then a question of either waiting and hoping for another cup of tea and a chance of getting on the internet – or going to bed.

Of course these issues pail into insignificance compared with those of so many people here who are literally struggling to survive.

I went to mass this morning. I arrived just before 10 hrs to find everyone already seated and the service well underway. Today is the feast of Christ the King in the Catholic Church. On significant feast days the children's mass, English mass and Chitonga masses are combined so that the whole community can celebrate together. I had forgotten both the feast day and the process! So the 10 am mass started at 9 am. In the UK I would have arrived after mass finished, but here they had reached the second reading – which would be passed within 15 minutes in the UK!

I had decided that I didn't feel up to the afternoon meeting at St. Veronica's and made my apologies. I returned home and lay down for a few minutes. I think that the non stop rushing here and there together with the difficulty dealing with people who all have major issues – and dire tea deficiency!! - were taking its toll. I would not achieve anything positive by forcing myself to walk another 4 Km and meet in the 33ยบC temperature for a couple of hours.

I had a couple of banana sandwiches and some juice and felt better.

I have seen few birds that I have been able to positively identify this year. There is a patch of garden which has previously had waist high grass covering most of it. Even I daren't venture out into this terrain for fear of snakes. This time the grass is just beginning to grow back – though it is not turning green at the speed of the grass verges – I should go for a wander and get another perspective, while I can safely do so. There are a few small birds that are flitting through. In the past I have regularly seen Snake Eagles and Black Storks. I suppose that their food doesn't exist around here at this time.

I was walking East towards Hichanga Dam some years back and I remember thinking how difficult it is to identify birds in Africa. Each species seems to have dozens of members. I spotted a black bird with a forked tail – about the size of a UK blackbird. I looked in my book of birds of Southern Africa and was delighted to read that the only completely black bird with a forked tail is a Fork Tailed Drongo – it was a delight to see one in my garden yesterday. Today I also saw a distinctive bird which turns out to be a Namaqua Dove. I have seen them before, but not with such striking plumage. They are the prettiest dove I have ever seem even without the stiking plumage. They are very slender with a long tail- today the bird (a male) had a striking black neck and shoulders. I suspect that the mating season has begun and the birds will be displaying their finery – I might even spot a Bishop this year!! There are some canaries that are very common in the garden – I am not sure of the variety. Similarly I spotted a handsome weaver this afternoon – possibly a Village Weaver.

We haven't had rain for a few days and temperatures are high. I decided to have a cold shower this afternoon and it was exactly what I needed. The idea came as I watched the water storage tank overflowing. It seemed to me that I could make better use of the excess pumped water. In the UK the idea of a cold shower doesn't seem inviting. However, at this time in Monze it is a different proposition. First the outside temperature is in the 30s and secondly the water temperature is well into the 20s!! I had a long lingering shower – it was refreshing, but in no way shocking!

One of the men I know from Our Lady of the Wayside told me this morning that he wanted to see me. This is not uncommon and I know that I will be faced with someone else who has a problem, but if I know the person reasonably well, I will invite them to come and talk to me.

He arrived after 16 hrs and told me that he lives with his family of children and grandchildren and they total 12 in all. The problems facing this part of Zambia have left his family struggling for food. He usually farms a bit of land belonging to his cousin some 40 Km or so south of Monze. They grew no food this last year. The cousin had four cows but the water supplies have dried and the cattle are no more. (Cattle are dying and farmers are selling them for food.) He told me that Monze depends on the farmers. If they grow maize, they come into town and spend money. This year they have no crops – as a result the many marketeers cannot sell their produce. Combined with this a doubling in the price of maize and mealie meal means that life is becoming desperate. This gentleman's wife goes to Tanzania to buy second hand clothes. In good times this is a sound business, but now there is no market and of course their income is normally supplemented by the food they grow,

He told me that he is able to grow maize on a small piece of land about 1 Km from Diven's shop, but he cannot afford to buy any seed.

I am reminded of an occasion many years ago when Osman – a friend from the hospital who worked alongside for a while in the stores – asked if I could fund some seeds. I decided that instead of buying my father a small Christmas present, I would send him a card telling him that I used the money for his present to buy some maize seed. In the March Osman sent me a picture of himself surrounded by a field of ripe maize. My dad appreciated and never forgot that present!!

For about £15 another man will have the chance of a field of maize! - and another friend or relative will get an alternative Christmas present!!

As soon as my friend left the power went off, so I failed to cook a meal today! However, all was not lost. I made myself some coleslaw from cabbage, spring onions, green beans and sweet peppers mixed with mayonnaise. I added some roasted peanuts and a boiled egg to produce a very acceptable salad.

I know there are dire warnings about eating uncooked food, however I tell myself that if Iwash the vegetables under the tap and then in boiled water with salt, they will be fine – so far I have survived!

I will add a few photos of the house and garden, so you can see the luxury in which I am living – it is pretty good actually!

Chris

P.S. We had power today for about two hours from 3pm to 5pm. I hope it will return before 10 pm. It is now 8.45 pm and my laptop says I have another 44 minutes!! I live in hope!!



No comments: