Saturday, November 4, 2023

The 14 Million Square Mile Triangle



I am attempting to resolve issues in Zambia, England and Japan at the moment!

As always people come to me in Monze needing all types of support. Jennipher is a huge loss felt by me and so many people here in Zambia. Last year in October she brought some of her groups to meet me at Truckers. In the past I have visited groups in Pemba and nearby – most came to Jennipher's house and I was introduced to them there. Some I met where they were based – generally near Pemba, though one or two were closer to Monze. However, until last year Jennipher had not brought groups to visit me where I stay in Monze.

I don't generally encourage people I don't know to come to my accommodation. It becomes difficult for me and, if I was to hand money to strangers, I would probably have queues at the door! However, maybe Jennipher knew that it was important to create a link while she could.

The groups have been very respectful and have not put undue pressure on me. I have met some group members and explained that I have no spare funds this year. I have tried to listen to what they are doing and how things are developing – or not! So often for one reason or another little projects fail to produce the results expected. The temptation to borrow to fund these projects often just leads to debt. A small project to buy village chickens last year had problems because most of the chickens died of a disease. Maybe in future it will meet with more success. I am prepared to help a little where I can. even if the projects fail, I think that trying can raise the spirits.

The past week has been exam time for PIZZ school. I hope that despite the considerable disruption caused by changes and uncertainty in the past year the results will again be good.

Over the past few days the number of birds in the garden seems to have grown. There are a couple of “Splendid Glossy Starlings” that are very frequent visitors. These are beautiful birds which are almost totally flourescent blue. In flight, catching the bright sunlight, they truly are a wonderful sight.

Diven's son Paul spent some time with me yesterday. He was with a friend and they enjoyed looking through binoculars, taking photos, using the remote control to change the colour of my lights, viewing sights on google maps including a quick tour of Cheltenham and looking at a few photos. They are very quick to master new gadgets and I survived without any damage being caused.

I have been trying to come to grips with bits of the legal system in Japan – the outcome is that Mawiini is going to visit a Gyosei Shoshi on Monday who should be able to notarise her documents!

This morning I roused my brother-in-law in Cheltenham because my wife, who was outside his house had failed!

It is amazing that, with the technology of today, being at another side of the world need not be an issue!

This week I have had fresh mangoes from trees in the garden – the first of many, I hope. I have enjoyed guineafowl eggs and enjoyed picking up a fresh loaf from the bakery and being enveloped in the smell of freshly baked bread.


I am hoping that next week I will be moving forward at pace. Time is flying there is not much more than a fortnight left before my return to the Uk.


Chris



No comments: