Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Challenges Galore


Jennipher continues to bring Groups to see me. An HIV/AIDs support group wants to start raising village chickens. These chickens are allowed to roam freely and I think they also are a different breed to the usual “broilers”. They taste very different to the usual chickens – very rich and rightly prized. There seems to be more profit from these birds.

For some reason this group isn't part of a co-operative and doesn't therefore qualify for farming inputs. They do however qualify for a different scheme where each person pays 400 Kwacha to receive fertiliser worth about 6,000 kwacha. It was decided that the money nthey would have used to start rearing chickens would be better used to grow groundnuts using the 400 kwacha deal.

A couple of days back Diven noticed a leak close to his water tap. The meter was clocking up and the ground becoming wet. A plumber will be needed to rectify the leak. He is trying to find a buyer for his plot and a few posters are needed.

Obert lent his car to a friend who seems to have hit something, resulting in a leak from the gearbox. On further inspection driving on caused significant damage to the gearbox. As a taxi driver Obert needs to get back on the road.


Each day brings more challenges for people here in Monze. People come to me thinking I can help them with a job or advice on how to set up a business. The problem is that there are far too few local black Zambians who have acquired the skills to establish businesses. In Monze there is no industry so most people rely on buying and selling. However, larger businesses and supermarkets have made it almost impossible to produce enough income in this way.

Farming has been another way for people here to make a living, but with the unpredictability of the
weather caused by Global Warming this too is becoming very difficult. Last year the rain was too heavy and washed away fertiliser as soon as it was applied. As a result crops were very poor.


On Sunday I went to mass at Our Lady of the Wayside – about 2.5 km from where I stay. It is a joy to hear the singing booming out and filling the church. They have a fishpond in the grounds of the church to bring in some extra income. In the afternoon I met with St. Veronica's Small Christian Community for prayers. I joined this sub-section of the parish in 2005 or 2006. They talk almost entirely in Chitonga – so for much of Sunday I understand very little of what is being said – to my shame!. We meditate on next week's Gospel which I find enlightening. It is good to be part of this group – I am always warmly greeted – the older ladies giving me a very hearty slap of the hand and a handshake. Next week we will meet here at Truckers – saving me a walk of about 1.5 km each way.

I still find some time to sit in the garden. I need some space to think about what I am experiencing and how to attempt to resolve a few issues. A lot of prayer is needed at the moment and for me that means trying to be still and listening for a bit of guidance. Some years back when walking I started getting frustrated that I couldn't positively identify birds that I saw. I looked up and saw perched on a branch a completely black bird with a forked tail. Looking in my book I saw a bird that fitted the description. The book said Forked Tailed Drongo – the only perching bird which is totally black with a long forked tail. At last I could positively identify at least one bird!! Since then my identification has improved. The past few days I have seen the Forked Tailed Drongo flitting around the garden on a number of occasions.

I met Angelina at her stall this afternoon. I wanted to return her container which was filled with Chibwantu – a drink made from maize. She told me of family and friends who had recently lost wives, sisters, brothers and children. Two of the key members of St. Veronica's have lost their wives since I last visited. All these people are relatively young – perhaps 30s or 40s – some much younger.

I was told that during COVID nurses and doctors would keep away from patients from fear of catching the disease, though many of those Angelina mentioned died from other causes.

I passed by the shop where Samson works and we chatted for a while. He told me that his brother Alick sent his greetings. I bumped into Brian again and got his phone number. We agreed that we would meet at Truckers sometime and have a chat.

 


Chris


No comments: