Friday, October 21, 2022

PIZZ School A Wonderful Project



My main reason for visiting Zambia this year was to meet with Mrs Sianga who has become a great friend over the years.

As I have said in previous blogs, she is the inspiration who made me return to Monze year after year to learn a little about the people, the culture and theirchallenges and get to make some friends in the process.

As a nurse Mrs. Sianga was supporting people dying of AIDS when I met her in 2003. The women died leaving orphans. It was to support these children and keep them off the streets that she started PIZZ School for orphaned and vulnerable children. Over the years the school has developed and with the help of donors, who are also committed to the support of these children, many students have been given the opportunity to develop and reach some of the great potential they possess.


I spent quite a lot of time time with Mrs. and Mr. Sianga during this visit trying to provide support during what is very difficult time for them. Mrs. Sianga is not well – suffering from high blood pressure. The school has continued to provide remarkable support for the children through COVID, however it is possible that new donors will need to be sought to ensure that the prospects of the children are not compromised.

On Monday evening – my last full day in Monze – Mr. and Mrs. Sianga took me to a good restaurant for a farewell meal. We chatted about many things including the future of the children. My nshima and Talapia (also known as St. Peter's fish) was excellent! Mrs. Sianga told me that when she received a vaccine booster she recognised a young man. He was a former student – now a lab technician. I told her about meeting Samson who was rescued with his brother by Mrs. Sianga. I told her he is now working in a shop outside Monze Market and she told me that Alick, his brother, is now a bricklayer and a very good one.


I travelled to Lusaka on Tuesday. While waiting for the bus, a boy came over to me and said he knew me because he used to be a student at PIZZ School – he was working for one of the bus companies. Arriving in Lusaka I caught a taxi to Longacres Lodge. In Lusaka there has been a lot of work on the roads – generally for the better! Robots (traffic lights) are now common and many bridges, or overpasses, have been constructed at roundabouts to ease traffic flow. One such has been constructed since my last visit at Longacres and it seems to have changed the nature of the place, as well as confusing me no end!

On Wednesday I rose at about 6.30 and then wondered how to fill the next few hours until 22 hrs! I had breakfast and formally checked out at 10, leaving my cases at reception, by which time I had printed boarding cards for my flights and topped up my talktime. I then headed for the Catholic Cathedral which is just behind the hotel – though it is a good walk around the roads - there being no obvious short cut.

I have previously found the cathedral a pleasant place to spend some time on my final day in Zambia. At first it appeared closed, but I found a small door ajar around the side and spent some time in prayer.


I remembered a grotto, mirroring the one in Lourdes where St. Bernadette is said to have seen Our Lady, the mother of Jesus, and which meant so much to me when I used to visit for many years with very sick and severely disabled people. I have always felt blessed because I feel closest to God when I am with the most vulnerable in society and gain so much from developing friendships with them. In Lourdes there are always flowers and birds – mainly sand martins.

The grotto at the cathedral has been moved and enhanced. It is set in what I term a lovely garden with trees, grass and flowers attracting many birds. I was treated to seeing a bird with enormous tails – I believe it was a paradise flycatcher. Swifts flew above and a variety of small birds, that I couldn't identify, flitted about keeping me company. On my way out of the cathedral complex I was treated to a display by a violet breasted roller.

In previous years I have visited Kabwata village which provides craftsmen with an opportunity to sell their products. I hadn't a map with me this year, so I wasn't sure that I would find it. I set off from Longacres and almost immediately came across a man with a stall selling some reasonable quailty items. He told me he also sold at Kabwata. I had plenty of time still to kill, so I told him that I would return and buy something. I half-heartedly headed off, vaguely thinking I might find the village, but soon decided to enjoy a walk and return to buy from this craftsman instead.


My route from Longacres took me past the Holiday Inn, various Government offices and State House. A little further I found the Anglican Cathedral. I hadn't visited before, so I decided to check it out. I enjoyed looking around at the variety of altars and noticed that everywhere there were screens installed. This is an innovation I think Catholic Churches should adopt! I had a chance to pray again. The cleaner was obviously enjoying her work, listening to appropriate music as she worked.

I returned, but by this time could feel that I was becoming dehydrated. So I told my man to be patient while I got myself a cup of tea and a bit more cash.

As usual when I again came to the artist, I got a bit carried away and filled my backpack with various objects. I couldn't resist a large giraffe, then wondered whether it would fit in my case!

I returned to the cathedral grotto with my goods and spent more time with Mary, her son and the birds!

When Mawini heard that I was back in Zambia she said that she would like to see me. I failed to see her in Monze so she agreed to come to the hotel to meet me.

Mawini told me that she never thought that she would go to school because her mother couldn't afford to buy her the uniform etc. She was surprised and delighted when she was offered a place at PIZZ School. She initially wore her own clothes, but was proud when she was given a new uniform. She thinks that she first came to know me when she was 8 or 9. Mawini was a keen and bright student and gradually came towards the top in class – eventually becoming number one. She passed her exams at grade 7 and grade 9 and was sponsored to complete her education at a secondary boarding school. I met her before she took her grade 12 exams and she told me that she wanted to be a doctor. It was clear that she was extremely bright and had that potential.


A few weeks later I was at a church service with David Steiner and we had been invited to say a few words. When I stood up I had no idea what I would say, but I remembered Mawini and I told some of her story. After the service a doctor in the congregation said that he would like to sponsor Mawini and so she was given the opportunity to study at the University of Zambia in Lusaka. God works in mysterious ways!

Some confusion with some exams meant she had to change to a veterinary course midway through her studies.

Mawini showed me her card authorising her as a veterinary surgeon. She is working currently at the University and seems extremely busy. She told me that she is very happy as a vet. She will be flying to Kenya in a couple of weeks to take part in a conference and hopes to go to Japan later in the year to study for a doctorate.

Like many of the students from PIZZ, Mawini would never have had a chance to pursue her dreams without the care provided at the school. There are currently about 650 students at the school – all with their dreams - and in years to come many more orphaned and vulnerable children, with their own dreams will hope to receive the care and support needed to bring them to fulfilment. I really hope that the school will be able to continue to provide this.


With love and prayers,


Chris.


No comments: