Sunday, October 15, 2023

Meeting Friends


I took a taxi for the shortest of rides – it takes less than 5 minutes to walk to Truckers, but I couldn't face dragging the bags even that distance after my journey from the UK. I was greeted on arrival by Lisa and another maid who both gave me a hug.

Arriving at 14.30 meant that I had a chance to sort myself out a little in the afternoon. There are a few essentials that need to be bought – tea bags, cornflakes and milk being at the top of the list.

I am about 50 yards from the main road. As soon as I reached the road I was greeted - “Hallo Chris, when did you come!”

I usually buy a bottle of water in Lusaka before catching a bus. I hadn't a chance this time, so with the temperature in the mid thirties it was essential that I grabbed a drink. Food Royal is very close so that was my first port of call. A tropical Cabana and two samosas would bring me back to life.

There are some small grocery shops very close – there is also Choppies which is a big supermarket I usually avoid. I also noticed that the market seems to also have arrived on the side of the road. I prefer to give the ladies selling vegetables along the road my custom whenever possible. In fact I managed to pick up most of my grocery needs for the next week without travelling more than a few hundred yards.

It was then back to my accommodation for some serious tea drinking!! I let a few people know of my arrival – including of course my wife Dilys.

I arranged to meet Diven later for a meal – again at Food Royal – cooking could wait till tomorrow. I was about to leave when Diven arrived – an hour late!

Thursday gave me the chance to pop along to the market and pick up some spices and meet a marketeer from the church. Brian came over from his stall by the “robots” to say hallo and I weighed myself on my friend's scales outside the old cathedral.

Since I arrived Best has shown me the preparations he needs to make for being called to the Bar. I will be in Zambia at the time and he asked if I would attend – fortunately I packed a suit in case. It has been a long journey with many twists and turns since I met him as a secondary student in 2005.


Teddy came around and told me how his retirement is going – though he doesn't seem to have fully extracted himself from the hospital. I gave him his birthday present – a Fedora hat in the stle of Indiana Jones!!

I have spent some time observing the birds in the garden – lesser blue eared starlings are common and spectacular – especially in flight. I have already finished my first thriller! You have a lot more time without the TV!!

Today I went to Our Lady of the Wayside for mass. It was lovely to hear the singing. The beautiful harmonies – often unaccompanied, and the volume from the whole congregation is a joy. I took the chance to bring a bible from Truckers and marked the readings before mass. I thought I was going to be anonymous - even though there was no other white face in the church! However, right at the end of mass the priest apologised for nearly forgetting to welcome me.

I met a few more friends after mass. Obert's father told me that Obert's wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning!!

I had not intended to go to st Veronica's Small Christian Community meeting today because with temperatures in the thirties – it hit 37 yesterday! - I don't want to do too much – at least until I am better acclimatised. In the event there was no meeting today.

I have had a lazy day doing a little family history research on the computer, chatting to Dilys and spending time in the garden.



Chris




No comments: