Saturday, October 21, 2023

What a Privilege



I am very fortunate. I have had the opportunity to spend the past 20 years visiting Monze and making friends. I feel very comfortable walking around the streets and through the markets. Everything is familiar. Cattle in the High Street is far from an unknown feature! At this time of year the cows seem to be allowed to wander in search of food. Today they found some nice green grass at Truckers!

The odd shower of rain has fallen in recent weeks. Here and there a few blades of grass have appeared. Usually this happens at the edge of the dust path. If more rain falls this grass gradually encrouches and if it continues it eventually becomes hard to realise that there wasn't a grass path all along!


Stalls are beginning to sell mangoes, but as I said to a boy eating one the other day “ if it doesn't cover your face with yellow juice it isn't a mango!” - he knew what I meant! The mangoes are not yet ripe – they are white inside and hard. I will wait awhile and get my face properly covered!

The sun is high at this time of year – at midday it is almost directly overhead. A little light rain has cooled the air this evening. Lisa switched on the hot water the other day which was a bit of a surprise. The cold water tap for the shower doesn't produce much more than a drip! The hot water is too hot, so showering is now quite an art! I told Lisa that I was happy to just have cold water, but apparently the switch for the geyser also controls the security lights! The solution seems to be get everything I can from the cold tap and then enjoy a couple of minutes before the hot water comes through, then almost turn the hot water off and finish with the dribble from the cold tap to cool me back down! Here you learn to adapt to the facilities!

I have a steady stream of visitors. Unfortuntely Jennipher showed some of her clients where I live and some call around. It is never a good idea to have people calling around, hoping for money. Unless they are people I know well I try to avoid giving cash. This can be very difficult, because I know that most are in real need. I have an added problem this year, because my funds are being used to support my major project and there is little or nothing spare. So even good friends in need are having to go without.


Euphrasia came earlier. She used to work at PIZZ school many years back, but became sick. She is much better now and she makes woollen mats for sale. She always gives me one as a present. I have a collec tion of mats around the house at home. I have bought a few to bring back for stalls in the past, but there doesn't seem to be a market in the UK.

Nelson is about to sit his final exams at the university of Zambia where he is taking a degree in social work. He is hoping to find sponsorship to do a masters degree in the UK or possibly Canada. So far he has done very well, getting excellent marks. He works when he can to try to cover the university fees. He came from Lusaka for the weekend to see his mum and say hallo to me.

I have had the delight and privilege to see a number of young people develop and get qualifications enabling them to move forward in life. With a bit of encouragement and a little support here and there, I hope that I have been able to make a positive difference. Not many people have been given the opportunities I have and I am very grateful.


I left a couple of pieces of chitenge material for Ireen yesterday to make into new shirts for me. She has made me at least one shirt everytime I have visited since 2004 – that's a lot of shirts!!.

The way that babies and young children are carried in Zambia seems eminently sensible and suits both mother and child. A length of chitenge material is wrapped around the child and tied around the mother's waist providing a secure fastening for the child keeping the bay in close contact with the mother (grandmother or sister) Our slings and carriers are no match. The baby can easily be moved from back to front for feeding and it is obvious that the babies are very content to be carried in this way.

Tomorrow I will visit Soloman in Pemba - about 30 Km from Monze and hope to catch up with Emmanuel, Obadia and Maria – children that Jennipher had adopted.

With love and prayers,


Chris






No comments: