Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Reflections on Monze 2023

I have spent more time reading and sitting in the garden than I am used to. This is probably not a bad thing, though, in the world we live in, apparent inactivity seems to be frowned upon. I often think that people are too busy rushing around to have time to think! I don't know how you can make good decisions unless sometimes,you have the time to ponder. Well I have had plenty of time!!

In the 20 years that I have been coming to Monze many things have changed. There were no mobile phones in Monze in 2003! There were no ATMs in Monze in 2003. Now we have entered the Internet era and I can connect from Truckers to anywhere in the world. I can send emails, talk via various means – including using video through Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp or Facetime. There are now supermarkets throughout the town, new restaurants, including PIZZA Express, even some new tarred roads around town.

However, the ladies selling tomatoes and onions still line the streets – many carrying their wares on their heads and the lads still transport goods around the town using their wheelbarrows. Stiil finding change for K50 (about £2) can be a major undertaking.


There is no evidence that the poverty has gone. There are still many mud brick houses with corrigated roofs held down with rocks and breeze blocks. In some ways things seem to have become worse, despite apparent increases in funding, it seems that the only way to get medicines these days is to take your prescription to a pharmacy and pay the market price. I understood that simple medicines used to be provided by the hospital.


The Jacaranda trees are becoming a bit bare having shed most of their petals like a carpet of blue confetti on the ground. The Flamboyant trees however are living up to their name with their bright orange/red blooms. I passed a tree in the garden and the fruit looked vaguely familiar! I hope that the mangoes are ripe before I leave for the UK!


Chris


No comments: