Thursday, May 16, 2019

A Free Day

Thursday 16th May

It is possible that I will get my free day today!

I feel that I should be running around finding something to do, yet, at least in theory, I could enjoy my stay this year as a holiday! I enjoy sitting under the veranda. Today there are a few more birds about. Bulbils are noisy and energetic birds, there are also canaries that stop on the trees as they fly by. I suspect that a couple of red bishops have also visited, but at this time of year they are rather indistinct. I spotted my first snake eagle yesterday near the house and have also seen a roller along the road.

Sitting back and relaxing in the cool of the day helps me try to make sense of what I see and hear.

Yesterday I went to PIZZ School were Mrs. Sianga, Killian and some of the teachers were distributing some clothes which recently arrived in a consignment sent by Hands Around the World from the UK. There was a large supply of sweatshirts, tee-shirts, football shirts and boots. The sweatshirts have arrived just at the right time as we enter into winter. School starts early and some of the children will have a long way to walk. Temperatures are already down to 10°C at night and will drop further - so these sweatshirts will be very useful. Most children managed to find something their size, though a few were disappointed. These clothes will become part of school uniform, but the children will also wear them at home or at church.

I was introduced to the children after the distribution. Most of the children know me, though some have joined from other schools in grade 8 and 9. Mrs. Sianga asked why some of the children didn't seem happy and at least one child said they were hungry!

It is painful to know that children are hungry. Most of us don't know what hunger is like. We might go for a few hours without a meal, but for most of these children hunger is a real and very unpleasant feature of life. This year it will get much worse. I met Nancy later in the day – perhaps it was 14.30. She also said she was hungry and asked for something. She said she hadn't eaten at school. She will have left home at 7 am or earlier and she still had best part of an hour's walk home. I cannot start giving food to children I meet on the street, but it breaks my heart when I leave them hungry.

I met a group of sponsored children from grades 7 - 9. In passed years I have spoken individually to the children and reported back to the sponsored. I no longer provide this link, so I used the chance to talk generally to the group – all of whom I have met in previous years.

PIZZ school provides a meal for all the students daily. In order to keep the costs as low as possible maize is bought early – usually in June or July – when it is cheaper. Last year 300 x 50Kg bags were used. Yesterday the first delivery of maize was received. Already prices are high – so it needs to be bought and stored without delay.

I called into the hospital on my way back home. Jennipher had managed to get Delia screened for cervical cancer - though the clinic had officially closed. The result was positive and she has been given some medicine to suppress the virus, before treating the cancer. It is a pity that they didn't do the screening two years ago when problems started.

Jennipher had a patient at her house who seems very poorly. She cannot walk and is suffering badly from diarrhoea and vomiting. Jennipher took her to the clinic in Pemba yesterday morning and is also looking after her two children.

Yesterday morning I bumped into Soloman Phiri. The Catholic Church has its own aid agency – The Catholic Fund for Overseas Aid (CAFOD). It operates all around the world by using the skills and expertise of local people – these are the CAFOD partners. Among other things, Soloman Phiri and his project team are Monze Diocese's CAFOD Partner. I met Soloman Phiri some years back when his daughter found out that I had stayed at a flat literally next door to his office and yet we had never met. Over the years we have talked quite a lot and I did a bit of work for the project team one year. He is now working at the Curia, though I think he would rather be back at Homecraft where he previously had his office.

I took a gentle walk into town and met a couple of marketeers I know from previous years. My “spice lady” who I only found out today is called Precious (though I have known her for more than 10 years!) kept me talking for ½ hour or so! I had only called in to buy some gonger and garlic!!

On the way back a guy said he wanted to walk with me. He told me that he was a student at the Agricultural college 3 or 4Km up the road past the Curia. He also said that he was a drunkard and had been drinking since this morning. I had no reason to doubt it!! He was quite amiable so we walked together for a while – then I decided to say goodbye and upped the pace! I have no problem chatting to people, but I don't want strangers calling for me at the Curia!!

Take Care,

Chris


No comments: