Tuesday, May 21, 2019

What's the Time?

Monday 20th May

Time is a strange thing! I woke this morning at what was apparently 5.30 but it was already light outside!! We are entering winter here and the sun rises a little after 6 am and sets a little before 6pm. There is probably no more than a half hour difference between sunrise in summer and winter. Night and day arrive quickly – so unless something very strange had happened to our planet overnight my mobile was misleading me! I notice the position of the sun more here in Zambia – probably because the sun rises quickly and at midday you have to stretch your neck to see it and day and night arise and depart very quickly! With new technology our devices can synchronise themselves to external clocks and I think this is my problem!!

Until a few days ago my clock was a wristwatch which used to be my father's. To set it you wind the hands around to the correct position and the battery does the rest. A few days ago the watch stopped and since then I have relied on my laptop and mobile phone. I suspect both have been set to different time zones – both wrong!

I think I now have corrected the time zones! It is apparently 10.14 according to my laptop and 9.18 according to my phone – which, before adjustment, would previously have recorded 8.13!! So I think I am now sorted!!I will wait for everything to synchronise – at least I am reasonably confident that it is the 20th May and the year is 2019!!

It has been a reasonably busy few days. On Friday I went to PIZZ School were I met some of the children that are being sponsored in schools and colleges around Monze. I was particularly keen to meet Rosario and Kayford who are two children in grade 11 at secondary school.

PIZZ School was established as a Basic School. This caters for children from grades 1 to 9. However to complete their secondary education the children need to complete a further 3 years. To be eligible to progress, the children need to pass an exam at the end of grade 9. The students at PIZZ, despite their huge disadvantages, have been very successful in passing this exam. After such effort, I feel that these children deserve to continue with education, so I try to raise some funds to secure their secondary education. Last year a school in the Cotswolds organised a sponsored walk were a class of 8 and 9 year olds walked 10Km and returned to a bowl of rice and beans. Their efforts raised more than the £1,800 needed to secure the schooling of Rosario and Kayford.

I also met three students at nursing school, another secondary student who is able to complete his schooling thanks to my daughters 50 mile run and a girl desperate to return to school to finish her education.

PIZZ School looks after orphaned and otherwise vulnerable children. When I meet the children I hear some of their stories and start to understand what being vulnerable means. A child whose parents both died was taken in by an aunt who also died, she was then taken in by a friend of the aunt and abused by the husband, was chased out of the house and is currently being looked after by an elderly woman who struggles to raise enough to feed herself. This is just one of so many examples of a vulnerable child here in Monze.

At the beginning of the year I was offered some reading books from a school in Cheltenham. On Friday I was able to see that they had arrived safely and were very much appreciated by the children and staff at PIZZ School. Many books sent from the UK don't fit in with the syllabus or the culture, however these are ideal books to encourage the children to learn English and will be very helpful for the school. Hands Around the World is a small charity that establishes very close links with its overseas partners. This enables us to know what happens to the money and goods we send. To be able to report on individual children or donations made enables a much better connection to be made. The reaction of the head at the school which sent the books says it all. “Oh my word – that has made my whole weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I am delighted to be able to help – and I have the huge satisfaction and privilege of meeting the children and seeing their beaming smiles!

I visited Jennipher on Saturday. For some reason I was a little apprehensive about the journey. I have travelled to Pemba many times. I like to use local transport but in general I avoid the little buses, however when I visit Pemba there is little option. The buses are inevitably overloaded and driven by young men with little regard to safety. It is the most dangerous activity I take part in! However, I should be used to it by now! As it happened my driver was relatively careful and drove at a reasonable pace. The seat I perched upon was worse for wear –i.e. broken! The back wasn't able to provide support and the base fell apart if the seat was raised – it was meant to collapse and be moved aside to let passengers in and out. The collapsing bit it fulfilled!!

Anyway I arrived safely in Pemba. The children have grown a lot in two years and look healthy. Obadia is now a young man – no longer to be bounced on my knee! I met Maria – the daughter on Selina –for the first time – she is more than a year old now she is a chubby little girl. Jennipher and Maggie were also about together with a few friends.

I have noticed the children this year in Zambia. The weather here makes a huge difference and the fact that in the poorer compounds there are no fences around houses. The children have a huge playground were they can join other families and invent games. They spend their time laughing and joking and getting up to mischief. Life would be great if they weren't hungry!

Jennipher's “estate” is growing!! Soloman is a good builder. He makes his own bricks and has constructed a piggery, extended the house to provide a big lounge, built a kitchen and another small house. The sick woman and her two children are currently staying with Jennipher. She says she will get Soloman to build them a small house in the grounds so that they can made their permanent home with them.

The water authority, Swasco, has installed a meter for Jennipher's tap. This means she can no longer afford to provide water for her neighbours as she has in the past.

It was good to see the family again. Selina was at school doing some activities, but will visit Monze with Jennipher on Wednesday.

Buses were nowhere to be seen for the return journey, but Jennipher flagged down a car to take me back to Monze. I squeezed on the back seat with another three passengers!

In the afternoon as the sun is setting it is nice to sit outside under the veranda and enjoy the peace and quiet of this place. The other day I watched a snake eagle on top of a electricity pole the other side of the wall of the Curia. I hoped it would fly in my direction, but was disappointed. It flew low away for my house. I also caught a glimpse of a black stork – another beautiful bird that frequents this area.

Church took over much of yesterday. Before mass George persuaded me to join him in the shelter reserved for men – although some women were also selling Chibanto –non- alcoholic sweet beer. Fr. Clement celebrated mass.

The cook at the church called me over and told me that they had had a robbery at the village where she lives. The thieves stole solar panels which were powered the pump for the water supply – so they now have no water. Unfortunately thefts such as these are not uncommon.

After mass a nun was selling booklets. I wanted to see if there was anything providing a local insight. I have friends who are concerned about witchcraft here in Zambia and I was able to pick up a couple of books giving a Christian perspective on the issue. The standard of medical care in Zambia is poor and so many people die of what we would regard as completely preventable (or curable) causes. Many people still believe that in some way they have been cursed, or bewitched, because the cause seems so mysterious.

The power of suggestion is very powerful. Recently in the UK there was a programme where a doctor did an experiment where he gave people tablets containing nothing of any medical significance. The idea was to test the power of suggestion – the placebo effect. Even he was amazed at the results. People in debilitating pain became almost pain free and could move comfortably in a way they hadn't experienced for years. About 40% gained some benefits which even lasted when they knew the tablets had no effect in themselves.

It is not surprising then that “witchdoctors” are able to 'demonstrate' their healing powers. Unfortunately they also use this power to ill effect. There are traditional healers however that have gained knowledge of herbs and other plants which can help with all sorts of ailments. I often wish that the traditional healers and modern medics could work closer together to provide a better service.

There was a larger group at St. Veronica's in the afternoon. It was decided to visit some of those who hadn't attended recently to see if they had problems. So after the meeting we all went around to
the house of one of the members. In the UK I would find this quite intimidating and intrusive, but here the culture is very different! The lady in question was seated on the floor. She said that she had gone to a funeral at a village in the Northern Province where it was still raining. She contracted a severe form of malaria and was still trying to recover.

Whoever I talk to this year tells me that this year there will be severe hunger. What I see in Monze is the tip of the iceberg, in the rural areas the impact will be huge.

Chris






No comments: