Thursday, May 23, 2019

Not Just a Diary

Thursday 23rd May

I worry that my blog easily becomes more of a diary than an impression of life here



in Monze!

I am very much at home here and forget that I stand out! I have spent a lot of time chatting to friends over a cup of tea or coffee, sharing thoughts and passing on information from our different worlds and perspectives.

I have spent some time over the past few days talking with Diven. He has a little shop which was once the only shop in the road, but now is surrounded by bigger ones selling similar goods. He is lucky if he makes 25 kwacha in a day (less than £2). With this he can just about feed the family, but any additional costs cause problems. At the moment he is buying his young daughter two drinks a day each costing 3 kwacha (about 20p) – this is beyond his budget!

One way and another my friends seem to be connecting! Jennipher is now supporting Diven and Delia through their medical issues, Bright has now become friends with Diven and both were around on Monday chatting with me under the veranda. Jennipher is well known throughout Monze Hospital so we have mutual friends there.

I was up early yesterday because Fr. Clement was saying mass for my friend Maria. After mass I watched a band of women sweeping the grounds. It is traditional here to sweep even though the ground is covered with sand – I was not aware of any leaves or litter, though maybe I am not very observant!                                  
                                                            
School and college fees present a major challenge for most people in Monze. Gertrude – the cook at Our Lady of the Wayside church was unemployed for several years. She has a daughter who has exams to take in November, but there is a shortfall of 3,000 kwacha (a bit less than £200). Unless she finds the money, her daughter will not be able to take her exams. On Tuesday I met a girl – Grace – who told me that she has passed her exams to become a teacher but again there is a shortfall in payments – this time 5,000 kwacha. Despite passing her exams she will not receive a certificate and be allowed to take up a teaching post until the debt is cleared.

People struggle to find money to send their children to school and much of their income goes to this purpose, but a small misfortune can easily result in a child failing to progress.

I met friends yesterday who I helped on my last visit start a little business buying and selling Kapenta – very small dried fish. The mother clearly understands how to generate a decent income from this trade. All went well at first but she became ill with malaria ++ as they term it! A neighbour offered to help her sell the fish, but instead stole her stock and ran away with it to Lusaka. The result is that her main source of income has gone and some of her children are no longer at school.

I went to Fr. Clement's – or to be more accurate – Our Lady of the Wayside's farm. He has a good number of pigs - two or three of which are pregnant. A previous litter caught a disease and died. They planted about 5 hectares of sunflower seeds this year which should have yielded a very good harvest which they could turn into oil – using a machine that was donated from St. Gregory's church in Cheltenham. Unfortunately very few seeds have been harvested due to the lack of rain. A small amount of cow peas were grown – again the crop should have been far larger. In order to keep the oil press working they are looking into pressing some cotton seeds. This year the income for the church will be much reduced as a result of the poor harvest.

Today I was asked to look at the solar lighting at the school which is not all functioning. It is a long time since I was taught about electricity and, due to problems at customs on my last visit, the lighting didn't arrived in time for me to help install it as planned.

I have always maintained that not being an expert can have great benefits. Which reminds me of the time I was chosen to accompany a disabled sailor in a dinghy – I believe it was on the grounds that I was the most incompetent sailor around!! My disabled friend used to train others to sail and was perfectly capable of telling me what to do. If an instructor had accompanied him they would have found it difficult not to take over! But I divert!!

I sought the help of a teacher and we tried to understand how the system worked! It seemed the battery was connected to the solar panel but nothing else!! Yet the lights in question worked. We were even more baffled when they worked without the battery connected to anything!! Well after a lot of head scratching and wire tracking, we came to understand how the system was put together. Eventually comparing results from the working and non-working system we established that there was no power coming from one of the solar panels. Had I been an expert I might have found the cause, but would any of the staff be any the wiser? Now at least a small number of staff members have a better understanding of the system – and so do I!!

We have seen a few clouds this week. You notice if the sun goes behind a cloud, because it is quite rare! People tell me it is now cold. I confess to wearing a jumper when I left home before 6 hrs yesterday, but by 8 am I was very happy in a light shirt. In the mornings the sky is a beautiful bright blue – the pictures don't exaggerate the colour! The sun very soon brings a warmth that even in our summer we rarely experience.

I am still meeting friends along the way. This afternoon I had a long conversation with someone who seemed to know me, though I can't place him! I have met Jennipher several times at the hospital when she has brought clients and there a number of staff members have greeted me. The conversation usually goes “Hallo Chris – you're back, when did you come?” I explain that though back, I am nearly gone again and they respond “too bad”.

Bye for Now,

Chris


No comments: