Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wasting Time

Tuesday 14th May

It is not easy to slow down!! Today I woke and had nothing planned. I began to wonder how I would fill the day!! I told myself that I didn't have to do anything – I could just relax, enjoy time on the porch and perhaps go for a short walk in the bush in the afternoon.

So I settled down with Huckleberry Finn and enjoyed the truly cloudless sky. After a while the phone rang and it was Jennipher. She was heading into Monze to meet with Delia and Diven at the hospital – could I call Diven? When I called him, he had no money for the taxi fare to bring Delia to the hospital.

A large chunk of my day was about to be filled!!

I have talked to Jennipher about my concern for Delia and yesterday she visited and advised Delia to be tested for a variety of possible diseases. Jennipher says she has seen some of her clients show similar symptoms and thinks the tests might disclose what is wrong. Today she has arranged that Delia and Diven meet her so they can progress matters.

I rushed to the hospital in order to sort out the taxi!

Naturally I arrived well in advance of Diven and family!! However, as I entered the hospital I was greeted by Sichone. In 2004 he was the stores manager and one of my first tasks was to look at the stores systems and see if I could produce a computerised stock control system. Sichone was new to computers at the time, but he gradually came to understand what I was doing and, with Luke, we made good progress over the years placing the stock records on the system. For a number of years I spent at least 3 months in Zambia, working most days in the hospital. This gave me a good opportunity to get to know my Monze colleagues. A few years back Sichone was moved from the stores, but about a year ago senior staff in the Health Service realised he wasn't being fully utilised and insisted he returned. So he now has taken up his former position.

Sichone insisted that I used a comfortable seat he brought me to wait for Diven outside the clinics.

Eventually Diven appeared but not before other hospital staff members greeted me. Needless to say Jennipher had not appeared. After half an hour or so I rang her and she said she was on her way. Half an hour later she said she had been stuck at Chisakasi, but was just setting off again. Half an hour later she had left Chisakasi and would be with us in 20 minutes. 45 minutes later she arrived!! There had been an accident at Manungu – a lorry had overturned trying to miss hitting a man carrying charcoal on a bike! This had been the final delay!! (From Pemba, where Jennipher lives, to Monze usually takes me 30 minutes once I catch a bus!)

So we are now all set!! Jennipher rushes into the clinics, obviously knowing her way around! Soon a nurse comes from the cervical health clinic and says that they don't do screening on Tuesdays - only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays! However, if Delia comes tomorrow she will see to her. The nurse stayed for a while prompted by Jennipher and advised Delia to stop breastfeeding Lwendo. She talked for awhile providing information and advice and it was agreed that the party would re-assemble tomorrow.

While waiting for Jennipher I spotted Teddy and went over to tell him the good news about his laptop.

Returning to Diven I was spotted by Robert! He greeted me in his usual way - “I'm troubled”. Ever since I have known Robert he has been “troubled” by one thing or another. How ever often I meet him there is another trouble he forgot to tell me yesterday. I am sure that like many he struggles, and eventually he might persuade me to help a little more with some of his troubles – but not today!! Many people come to me during the day and ask for money. I know they are probably in need, but if I gave money to people just because they ask, I would be inundated with beggars and so would every other “white” person who visits Monze. Although to be honest, other than the two Italian nuns at the churches, I have only noticed two other “white” faces since I arrived almost two weeks ago - and they were in cars!! Although effectively Robert is a beggar – he is not a stranger, I have known him over quite a few years – he therefore gets a very limited bit of support. I am sure we will meet again before my visit is over.

It had been a long morning – much of it chatting to Diven and playing with Lwendo. I thought that a trip to Tooters might be in order, so I rang Obert whose base is just around the corner from the hospital. I asked him to pick up Delia and family. I walked the short distance to Tooters and arrived just before the taxi!

So Diven, Delia, Jennipher and Gertrude – who is helping Delia – together with Paul and Lwendo joined me at Tooters where we had a meal and some soft drinks. We chatted some more and at last Paul started to interact with me and play a bit.

By now 10 hrs had become 15 hrs and the emptiness of the day was a distant memory!! It would be easy to say that I wasted the day, but in fact I believe that it was very valuable. Passing the time with friends is what I count as my real purpose in life. My brief meeting with Ian reminded me of the rapport and interaction we used to enjoy in the stores. Bringing together Diven's family and Jennipher is valuable because she is a useful guide for them. I also think that I have made a breakthrough with Paul who finished laughing with me rather than crying. Unless we are prepared to “waste time” with people we will never build the trust needed to develop an understanding of their lives and their challenges.

Maybe another free day will appear – though with so little time left I rather doubt it!! I know I have activities planned for tomorrow, Friday and Saturday and next week is my last week in Monze – I will leave early on the following Tuesday.

Take Care,


Chris




No comments: