Saturday, May 11, 2019

Catching up with Friends

Thursday 9th May



It feels like only yesterday that I arrived and yet on another level I feel I have been in Zambia for weeks.

On Monday morning I strolled into town – I wanted to make contact with a few friends. I decided to pop into the hospital and say hallo to Sr. Juunza - the Hospital Administrator - who I have known for a number of years in her current role and other roles. She told me that Teddy was around so I headed to his office. Teddy is the Acting Information Manager who has in this position since Bentoe - a good friend to both of us - died tragically in a car crash in 2006. Teddy tells me that he expects to continue to be acting until he retires in a couple of years.

Teddy wasn't at his office but arranged to meet at the Tuck Shop. As I approached Sebia ran towards me and gave me a big hug. We first met many years ago on the high street and she helped me find a bus to go to Pemba to visit Jennipher. It was good to see her again and to receive such a warm welcome.

I chatted for a while with Teddy.

As I left the Hospital I rang Mrs. Sianga to see if she was around. She was and we agreed to meet. I credit Mrs. Sianga for giving me the inspiration to return to Monze again and again. I have seen her school grow from a single class to an impressive operation with over 400 (or possibly 500) students with a 100 former students gaining a secondary education, two students at university and more in nursing training. Although this year I am not formally representing Hands Around the World, this will not diminish my support for the school and I will still do everything I can to ensure that it continues to thrive. Over the 16 years that we have known each other we have come to understand each other quite well. I have met her family, been to her farm and visited the area where she grew up. She has met Dilys (my wife) and Amy my granddaughter. It was good to say hallo and chat with her and her husband. I also met Killian who has been providing a lot of support over the past few years.

I returned to Our Lady of the Wayside for lunch and afterwards moved to the Curia.

Somehow between morning and afternoon the adaptor for my laptop ceased to work! Hence one reason for no recent posts.

Eventually I found out how to get the cooker to work so I could make a cup of tea – well I could if I had some tea bags! At least I was confident that tea would soon arrive and I felt settled!

Time to go into town and buy a few provisions. It takes me a while to remember how things work in Monze. I headed to the market where I met the lady who sells me spices. She greeted me warmly with another hug and said that she had been thinking about me! The market has many temptations for me – chinese cabbage, spring onions, aubergines, sweet peppers, impwa ( a cross between a pepper and tomato!) and many other interesting fruits and vegetables. I had promised Gertrude – the cook at Our Lady of the Wayside that I would show her how I cook Lusala (a root vegetable) on Tuesday – however my friend from the parish, who usually sells it in the market, told me that it wouldn't be available till the end of the month. I was accumulating plastic bags and realised that I normally go around with a backpack to help carry provisions. I was a bit weary by the time I made it back to the Curia. Tomorrow I would remember.

I won't bore you with the details of the past couple of days, but here are the highlights!

I have been walking around meeting old friends.

At the bank I met Luke – a past colleague of Teddy's and a friend I got to know well in 2004 when we were developing a stock control system for the hospital. He now lives in Chikuni 20 or 30 Km from Monze. At the same time as meeting Luke, Captain came up to me to say hallo. Captain was in charge of making concrete blocks for the hospital ICU in 2003 – he is still in Monze and says he is busy.

I bumped into Brian – a Rasta friend who I have known for many years. I had a woollen hat at home which I picked up when we visited Jamaica in 1996! I have never worn it and brought it out to Monze because I thought Brian would appreciate it. Next time I saw him he was proudly wearing it! Along the road was a man whose name I can never remember. He has a wheelchair and some scales – as usual I weighed myself and gave a donation! He has a daughter at PIZZ School – he told me that his wheelchair was giving problems and it was difficult getting around on the rough tracks in Monze. I am amazed that even with the best wheelchair it is possible to get around!

At the Curia I met Fr. Milimo, Fr. Raphael and Fr Kenan in swift succession – all priests I know quite well. Fr. Raphael used to be at Our Lady of the Wayside Parish – a lovely, quiet man. He told me he was now in a parish bordering Zimbabwe – I asked him what he had done to deserve being banished there! He laughed! Fr. Kenan is still at Chilimantando, not far form Choma – about 100Km from Monze. He asked me to visit him there, though I doubt if I will have time this year. I first met Fr. Kenan in London and he stayed with me one weekend in Cheltenham. He returned the favour and I spend a wonderful weekend in the bush at his mother's home. No water, electricity but a solar panel to charge mobile phones!! His mother died while I was here last time, but I had a chance to visit her in hospital and remind her of that visit.

Another friend who suddenly appeared at Our Lady of the Wayside was John. I haven't seen John for a number of years so it was a a delight to meet again. He is a bit of a rogue who I met years ago. He wanted to dig himself a well and told me all he needed was a pick and shovel. A friend from the UK funded these items so John got to work. Eventually the well was dug – though by the time we had finished, in addition to the pick and shovel we had borrowed a windlass and bucket – and replaced fraying ropes at least once, provided food for a friend who raised and lowered the bucket with either soil or John inside!, bought bricks and mortar to line the well to stop it collapsing and provided a rope pump which was never used!! John told me he had now left his wife and children because she was seeing another man!!

As I walk along the road to the Curia people greet me – some marketeers know me because they are parishioners at Our Lady of the Wayside, some priests stop their cars and remind me of games of pool or other occasions where we previously met– an example was Fr. Victor who was staying at the cathedral one year that I visited, a keen Liverpool supporter, I gave him some pictures I had taken outside Anfield Stadium.

Lashford bumped into me down the road – he was responsible for building the ICU and the first PIZZ school building funded through Hands Around the World – he tragically lost a very young child some years back. Ireen, my tailor, called to me from her sewing machine and gave me a huge hug as usual. She showed me documents relating to her child's nursing training at a local private school. I was surprised by the costs - £500 - £600 per term. I will by some material for a couple of shirts and pay her a decent price!

Yesterday I tried to reach Charles but failed. Since I was passing his house after cooking my Lusala (I found a stall along the street leading to the Curia selling Lusala) I called around and we caught up with politics etc. for a couple of hours. I enjoy our chats. I have known Charles for many years. He is an interesting guy, a very good listener and interested to get another perspective on the world. Unfortunately most of his projects have hit with disasters of one sort or another!

My laptop is now back in action – fortunately it just had a damaged power cable, which was diagnosed by a guy down the road recommended by Teddy.

The internet is another issue. I have had some access but it is very hit or miss – and more miss than hit at the moment!! I might need to invest in another means of access.

Best wishes,

Chris






MY BACK GARDEN AT THE CURIA

No comments: