Friday, May 24, 2019

Walking on the Wild Side - well almost!

Friday 24th May

I had nothing planned for today.

I saw another white face today – a girl and yes she too was in a passing car. There are sometimes a few volunteers with an NGO or charity that venture along the roads in town but so far I have seen none this year. It makes me realise that I really must stand out! For many I am now a familiar sight around the roads and compounds of Monze. I am greeted by many – the children shout, often from far away “How are you?” and even if I can't see them I respond – they cannot be greeting anyone else!! When I am with Zambian friends they are usually amused by the children's greetings!

It wouldn't be right to be here in Monze without venturing into the bush. I wanted to go into town, but thought I would try to find a new route off road! In practice I soon hit the Golf Course - so my adventure became very tame. A cut through passed some houses in the posh part of Monze – yes it does have one! Another track took me close to the railway station.

Although I am pretty comfortable and feel at home in Monze, it can be tough coming up against one challenge after another. I do what I can to help my friends, but the needs are enormous. Everyone has families that are struggling – either to pay school fees or just to provide food.

Luke popped around this morning. He struggles to try to keep his nieces and nephews in school. As a hospital employee he receives a regular pay check but it isn't much and everyone looks to him for support. His niece who suffered an accident a couple of months ago desperately needs physio before it becomes too late and will also need a wheelchair.

On the way back from town I passed through some ramshackle stalls – most empty, but a few selling vegetables etc. One lady asked me to eat nshima – she had a very basic cafe were she was cooking nshima and chicken. I was tempted to stay for supper but decided to carry on home. I picked up some soya pieces. I might have mentioned that I haven't tasted anything similar in the UK. The texture is like meat and with a few spices and vegetables they make a lovely meal. They seem to be sold everywhere in little plastic bags – mine cost 20 kwacha (a little over 10p) and will provide 4 or 5 meals. Even though I will only have three more cooked meals at the guest house. I needn't worry because any provisions I have left will be eagerly snapped up by my friends. Monday I will eat out at Tooters or Food Royale with Diven and family.

Chris




No comments: